This protocol is used to separate coral tissue slurry that is homogenized into host (coral) and symbiont (Symbiodinaceae) fractions. The samples used in this protocol were from the Astrangia poculata nutrition experiment run by K. Wong in April 2019. Corals were snap frozen, airbrushed with filtered seawater, homogenized with a glass homogenizer, aliquoted appropriately (500 μL in each tube), and frozen at -80°C. This homogenate separation will be used for citrate synthase analyses and DNA extractions
Using the Zymo Quick-DNA Mini Prep kit on adult Astrangia poculata samples from the Astrangia Nutrition Experiment.
Troubleshooting Citrate Synthase Protocol
RNA/DNA extractions for P. astreoides genome samples
Troubleshooting Zymo Quick-DNA Mini Prep kit on adult P. astreoides homogenates.
ZYMO Quick-DNA/RNA Miniprep Plus Kit Troubleshooting
This protocol is adapted to determine total protein content using the Pierce BCA Protein Assay Kit from Thermo Scientific.
This protocol is for counting Symbiodinium cells in various coral tissues. In terms of sample preparation and final counts, please be aware of what type of tissue you are using (i.e. larvae, juvenile spat, or adult tissue).
- Start analyzing larval Symbiodinium density and total protein samples TGA 2017 experiment
- Outline my review chapter and develop meta-analysis hypotheses
- Edit adult respiration r code to ensure output is correct by March 01 2018
- Finish larval Symbiodinium density and total protein quantifications for TGA 2017 experiment
- Finish results for TGA 2017 experiment
- Create an outline for Ch.1 (review) PhD dissertation
Lab Intro to Open Lab Notebook on GitHub